Pages

Welcome to The Painted Squirrel!


Magic is believing in yourself. If you can do that, you can do anything! - Johann Wolfgang Van Goethe

Sunday, December 16, 2012

Big Mildred and Sparkly Wine Glasses!

Good morning!  I hope everyone is enjoying their holiday season!  I am still working on the last few projects in my sitting room and, as promised last week, I would like to introduce you to Big Mildred...



Big Mildred is our enormous old fashioned tv that has been taking up way too much space in our sitting room for way too long!  She sticks out from the wall about 3 feet or so and is roughly the size of a boat!  Big Mildred won't break and I finally made the decision to buy a little flat screen for the room.
My friend Paula gave me this little stand not too long ago and I decided to use it for the new tv stand, but it is a little "country" for the room with the two plank shelf on the bottom. 





The top was bowed slightly and if I'd wanted to keep it as is, I could have easily replaced it with a new one I could get from Home Depot, but I needed to "contemporary" it up for the room.





 A coat of white paint (naturally) and I removed the top and bottom shelves and replaced them with glass.  I already had a piece of glass for the top that I had bought at a yard sale for about $1 years ago.   I hired Reston Glass to cut a piece for the bottom and voila, a simple but updated stand for my new flat screen!




In other news, I found a little wine glass project on Pinterest and decided to do it for some holiday glasses - this is such a quick easy project, even if you aren't "crafty" at all!

Take some plain wine glasses and tape around the stem about a 1/2" from the base.
 I used sandwich baggies to protect the glass I didn't want to treat and used another piece of tape to attach it to the rest of the stem that needed to be covered.
The directions on Pinterest said to use a product called Modge Podge, and I'd recommend it, but since I had some matte medium on hand, I used that to paint an even coat on the base of the glass up to the tape on the stem.  You can use any kind of glue that dries clear (Elmers might even work)
Working quickly while the glue is still wet, sprinkle the base with glitter.  Once it is dry, tap off the excess glitter and spray them with a spray polyurethane sealer.
CHEERS!

No comments:

Post a Comment