Pages

Welcome to The Painted Squirrel!


Magic is believing in yourself. If you can do that, you can do anything! - Johann Wolfgang Van Goethe

Saturday, June 29, 2013

Daddy Long Legs!




Happy Father's Day Dad!
 When we were little girls, my sisters and I had to learn how to walk very fast to keep up with my Dad.  Not only is he over 6 feet tall, but he is a naturally fast walker (just like I'm a naturally "good eater")  One of his steps was equal to about three of ours and we'd gallop along beside him in our Mary Janes, trying not to fall behind.  We loved it and, truth be told, Dad was probably walking along at a third of his normal gait for us.

Now this month I've feel like I've been doing the same thing, only not as fun.  It seems that with my son's graduation, Father's Day, the end of the school year and some new projects that I've been asked to do, all I can do is run to try and keep up!  I envy those people who can get it all done and seem so organized, they are the fast walkers of our world.   I am Herve Villechaize to their Shaquille O'Neal and even though the view is great from down here, my legs are tired!  So tomorrow I am heading for the lake house for a few weeks and cannot wait to rest my aching gams!

I have several things to show you this week - potluck style since none of the projects really relate to each other.  First, back to the garden.   I wanted a little table or something to set my coffee or tea down next to the garden bench.  Back to the basement for some in home shopping!  I found this candle holder that I haven't used in years - actually the candle itself had never even been lit.

Looks pretty "garden-y" right?
I used a hack saw and removed the base, then I drilled some holes for drainage in the top so water wouldn't collect.
Then I pushed it in until the bottom "branch" was just under the dirt - this helped to stabilize it.

Perfect!

Next just a little blurb about my son's graduation party centerpiece.  I just gathered up "school" items and threw it all into the middle of the table (OK, maybe not "threw", I arranged it rather quickly though)  I wrapped a rubber band around a glass vase, then inserted pencils and crayons between the rubber band and glass.  When I was done, I tied a ribbon in his school colors to hide the rubber band and put in some flowers.   (thank you for helping with this one Mom - it was a little tedious although not as bad as your Rock Star effort icing 98 cupcakes!!)

Calculaters, glue sticks, a dictionary, thesaurus, erasers - they all look great grouped on the table with the kids photos tucked in!

My niece also graduated - oddly enough, different schools but they both had the same school colors!

Lastly, a project done by one of my dearest friends, Lisa.  Lisa decided to paint her master bedroom furniture black.  The pine was nice, but a little too country for her now.  She opted for using oil paint (cue menacing music) and the results are amazing!  She has promised to send me more photos of the room since she's now also painted the bed, night stands and had the floor changed from carpet to hard wood!  I'm still not an oil paint kinda girl, but with these results, maybe I should rethink it!
I think this is the paint she used...
Saint Andie...really, you shouldn't have! (Let's all ignore the terrible touch up job I did changing the "r" to an "i" and just go with it...)

Before

After.  Some new drawer pulls and HELLOOOO GORGEOUS!

So that is it for this week and it's off to the lake!  There is something truly magic about finding a place where you are able to let go of the hands that are pulling you along your life and just be.  I hope you all have a place like that so this summer you can take some time to relax, be grateful and enjoy all of the things you've been running to keep up with.  Have a wonderful week everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment