Pages

Welcome to The Painted Squirrel!


Magic is believing in yourself. If you can do that, you can do anything! - Johann Wolfgang Van Goethe

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Photography Class - The First Step...

I mentioned last week that I've started a photography class.  I hadn't received my camera by the first class last Wednesday, for which I'm grateful because after the class I cancelled my order and purchased a Canon T3i.  My amazing nephew, Charlie, helped me decide what to get - my criteria was to have a "speedy button" for action shots and to take great shots of my crafts and projects.  I think I've chosen wisely, although I really have no idea yet what I'm doing.  There are several other ladies in class with the same camera, so we will work it all out in good company!

For the first week, we were asked to do several assignments.  The first was to take photos of a fence with the F-stop on different settings to see the difference in focus (I'll save those for the end of this post since they're not very exciting because they are, well, a fence. :))

She then gave us our "Challenge" for the week, which was to ask a question through the lens.  Really?  A question through the lens?  I have been so immersed in learning the camera that I didn't have the time to really ponder such a deep question, and so I decided to kick it old school and ask the age old question...


Yes, that is a real chicken silhouetted in the background.  I grabbed the egg from home and went over to the local kids working farm in our town.
Our next task was to take photos of the things that compelled us to take the class in the first place.  That would be my crafts, but since I was at the farm, I decided to just keep taking shots of the animals.  They were adorable!

I loved this guy!  There was already a very large rooster in the hen house and this poor guy just ran back and forth trying to get to the girls on the other side of the fence!  If I got close, he would chase me away.   He was so funny and I felt a little sorry for him!


Hey Ladieeeeeees!  How YOU doin'??

Yes, the Momma gave one of her many little babies a kiss!
This little guy kept getting stuck in the flap going outside.  He never gave up though!
These were the slightly older babies, still sleeping! - Teenagers!!  Sheesh!!

Momma number two - all of her babies are sporting what appears to be little white socks!

So tweet!!
This was just an old tree on the property.  I hope as I learn how to do this, I will be able to bring the colors and textures out better.  This was beautiful.

And now for the fence and some paint chips from Benjamin Moore to practice with the F-stop...feel free to skip to the end!





Class number two is tomorrow morning!  I'm excited to see how to improve on what I did this week and hopefully to learn something new for next week!  I'm a little sporadic with my posts lately and I'm sorry about that.  I'm still trying to keep up with a lot of new projects coming in and I'm so excited to share them with you in the weeks to come!  Have a happy SPRING!!

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Andrea. I would love to take a photog. class as soon as I can squeeze it in :) I thought I would give you two blogs I follow, both of which are a source of inspiration for me. They are mothers in the adoption community online.

    Stacie

    http://www.florabellablog.com

    http://www.thelongroadtochina.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andie! One of your "T3i ladies" here :) You shoulda posted those paint cans pictures in class as well...great focus practice. I also loved your painted glass necklaces. Look forward to browsing more of your blog :)

    ReplyDelete