Pages

Welcome to The Painted Squirrel!


Magic is believing in yourself. If you can do that, you can do anything! - Johann Wolfgang Van Goethe

Saturday, January 19, 2013

Office Politics!

 Doesn't it seem like the rooms with the doors are the easiest to neglect?  Close the door and all your troubles go bye-bye!

I mentioned last week my embarrassment at having guests see the state of affairs and now I'm going to post photos (Oh my gosh!) of the unvarnished room.  I didn't even tidy up for these shots because I want you to see how it really looked!


This would be the perfect room to write horror novels or books on hoarding...


Dark navy walls and a completely useless office area, even the relatives on the wall are shocked! 


The 80's called and wanted their curtains back - Gladly!  I had only slung them up there for some privacy!


Starting to clear the room to get ready to prep and paint the walls.


And like a breath of fresh air, on goes Benjamin Moore's China Blue!  It already makes me happy but, after that navy color, it sure looks bright!  Almost too bright, but I'm determined to move forward and see how it goes.



The old wooden bookshelves, before. 

Same bookshelves, after a coat of white paint and the back panel painted a red-raspberry for my accent color.
 
No matter how we slice it, the shelves in the office are going to have to hold office binders and books -  I did try to add a litle bit of space and style to two of the middle shelves, there's no guarantee they will stay clutter free!

I framed a thank you card we were sent.  Our friend's daughter took the photograph of the dahlia and I thought it was beautiful!
After



After - If the desk return looks strangely familiar, you are not seeing things, that is the tv stand for my sitting room!  I have found another table I will paint for the sitting room, but this was just perfect to use as additional desk space in here - always changing things around..
 

 

Since we live in the DC area, I decided to make a cherry blossom stencil for the wall over the couch with a few extra blossoms floating around.  The sofa, which is another pullout, has to stay as does the file cabinet.  The problem is that the file cabinet is much taller than the side table.  Two lamps that are different heights, spray painted red and given the same shade gives it more balance.  Not perfect, but better.


I like to add a little suprise - in this case I have a little cherry blossom that's fallen to the ground behind the door.


 
 Well, Jazzie approves.  She loves the cushy white rug, I think mostly because it looks just like her coat!  Have a wonderful weekend everyone and thank you for looking!

No comments:

Post a Comment