Pages

Welcome to The Painted Squirrel!


Magic is believing in yourself. If you can do that, you can do anything! - Johann Wolfgang Van Goethe

Friday, May 10, 2013

Garden Variety..

I'm sorry I missed last week's post.  It was for a good reason though, my cousin's son got married in Daytona Beach, Florida.  What an amazing wedding, and even though most of the weekend was overcast and rainy, the skies opened up just before the service and it was beautiful for the rest of the trip! 

As promised, I am going to show you how my garden is growing.  Remember the "before" I showed you on my last blog?


About as inviting as the flu...

Well, that was then and this is now...
I will tell you that when you are not a gardener, having such a large area to fill up is daunting.  It's been much better since I've sectioned it off, mentally, into "rooms".  Ah yes, decorating rooms I can do!  The plants are still so small (I refuse to invest alot of money in something that I might just kill!) but I'm hoping it will just get prettier as time goes on and I add more every year.



After.  Or maybe I should say "Now" since it is destined to change and grow.
 Remember my irises I transplanted from the lakehouse?
Before



Afer.  The irises have gone crazy and I will need to separate some after they bloom!  Does anyone have another color that they'd like to trade for some purple?  The hens and chicks in the birdbath are weighing heavily and will be transplanted to another area shortly!
 
Just beautiful!



And now for my Craigslist bistro set...


Before




After, ready for coffee and the newspaper...



I had this wall hanging that I used with fake flowers on a wall a few years ago.  Never throw anything away, right?  You never know when it will come in handy!
 And finally, my herb garden..I've never been able to grow herbs (yes I know they are "weeds" and are very easy for most people)  These have been doing well in my kitchen window, but my father in law convinced me that they really want to be outdoors and I should plant them in the garden.

Lemon balm, basil, parsley and rosemary.  Should be easy, right?


I picked a little corner of the garden and planted some grasses along the edge.  The herbs I planted in the galvanized tub, after poking some holes in the bottom for drainage with a hammer and nail.  You can get these tubs online for about $20 so I wasn't damaging anything too precious.


So, how am I doing?  Every time I plant something, I do what my grandmother used to do when she planted something...I look at it and shake my finger and in a very stern voice I say, "Now, grow!".

Jazzie doesn't look too enthused, but she's really just mad at me still letting the groomer shave her down to the point that she now looks like a schnauzer with an underbite!  Have a great week everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment