Pages

Welcome to The Painted Squirrel!


Magic is believing in yourself. If you can do that, you can do anything! - Johann Wolfgang Van Goethe

Sunday, November 3, 2013

Sounds Like a Plan!

Another week has just flown by!  The leaves are changing and Halloween has come and gone.  This was the first year that neither of my boys went trick or treating, but my nephew and his wife brought their two little ones to my house so I was able to get my "fix" of cuteness!  I tried to be a bit more creative with my pumkin this year - thanks to my addiction to Pinterest! - here's a quick look....

Over the summer, I was asked by interior designer Karen Dunlap (kmdinteriors.com) to paint a mural on the wall of one of her clients (he happens to be a friend of ours as well).  He recently purchased a gorgeous town house and asked Karen for her help in the design.  He was looking for a pop of color and something that sort of meandered from the top left corner of the wall to the bottom right.  He is so musical that I suggested we run a sound file down the wall.  He recorded a saying that would inspire him (I told him I wouldn't tell what he said :)) and I set about painting it on his wall. 

Here's the blank wall - the flat screen hangs in the middle and he will have two corner bar tables and stools with orange pendant lights above them in either corner.  I love that he opted to use his formal living area for a game room!

I used painters tape to approximate where I want the painting to go.  It's so easy to reposition and step back to look at the placement!

The first coats.  I wanted there to be a lot of movement in the painting so it looks like the wall is reacting to the sound.

 
I used some light teal to brighten some areas.

The teal really makes it glow.

Here's a close up of the top corner. 


The addition of the sound file across the wall (avoiding the inevitable equipment shelf!)


The finished product.  I used an opalescent paint on the sound file and it literally glows.  I can't wait to see it in the evening with the pendant lights hanging over it!  He certainly got the pop of color! You can't see that there's some orange subtly running through it which will tie it in with his color scheme, but it's there.

Have a great week everyone and enjoy your fall!

2 comments:

  1. Hey, I know that friend/client AND that wall. You did a fab job on it, per usual.

    ReplyDelete