Pages

Welcome to The Painted Squirrel!


Magic is believing in yourself. If you can do that, you can do anything! - Johann Wolfgang Van Goethe

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Back Deck Furniture and Decorating!


Ah, my little back deck!  When we first moved into our house there was nothing leading out into the back yard.  Not even steps! There was a make shift gate nailed across the back door so no one would accidentally open it, walk outside and fall the three feet to the ground! The house had just been built recently and the couple that lived here had a newborn baby to take care of.  Back yard living was likely not on their to do list!  Better for us because we could do exactly what we wanted!   We immediately had a screened porch put in, which we love.  Last summer though my hubby and son's built a small deck leading off of the porch to make a nice transition from the screened porch to the yard.  It has sat bare ever since...

 Fast forward to a few weeks ago when my sister and I helped our dear friend Kimmy hold a yard sale.  Kim's neighbor joined in as well.  As usual, we had waaayyyy too much fun together!
Me "helping" the yard sale effort by wearing Kim's son's bathrobe and slippers..
Like most multi-family yard sales, half of the time you wind up selling to each other!  Kim's neighbor, Lisa, graciously sold me this World Market porch set for $20!  It was in pretty good condition but had been outside for a while.  I brought it home to see if I could make it work on my little back deck.

A good cleaning and a LOT of spray paint...and I mean A LOT OF SPRAY PAINT!!
And it turned out like this!!
Now for the fun part - decorating the porch!  I took some of my plants from the garden and put together a few window boxes and voila!  A lovely sitting area to enjoy the outside.



Being such an amazing gardener (not), I found these pansies growing under another bush in the front yard.  I had thrown them under there last year after they had bloomed because I thought they were dead - I had no idea they would come back!
I had started some herbs from seed for the first time a few months ago and shock surprise!  They grew! There's the basil, lemon herb, lavender (hasn't made it past the top of the pot yet) and parsley...I'm feeling very Martha!
I just love our new deck and we've been sitting out there every night, talking to each other.  Anything that can bring my family together is wonderful in my eyes!  Worth all the carpal tunnel from spray painting so much!  I hope you are enjoying your spring and are finding some excuses to get outside and relax with your friends and family!


No comments:

Post a Comment