Pages

Welcome to The Painted Squirrel!


Magic is believing in yourself. If you can do that, you can do anything! - Johann Wolfgang Van Goethe

Saturday, May 31, 2014

Let Them Eat Watermelon Cake!

Today is my son's birthday.  He's not a real "cake" fan so for his special day today I decided to try something new.  I saw some watermelon "cakes" on Pinterest, where they cut the watermelon into a cake shape and then decorated it with whipped cream and fruit.   Sounds easy, right?  Well, it was.  Although there are a few things I'll do differently next time, this one is pretty rough, but I'm happy with the way it turned out for a first run!
Time was a little short today, but next time I'll load up a few more "roses" and flowers!
You start with a seedless watermelon.  I used one of the smaller round ones, but I imagine you could use a larger one as well.  I cut a cylinder out of the center to form the "cake".
OK, I've been taking the photography class and one thing I need to note is to wear my glasses when taking photos!! I thought this was as clear as a bell! :)

Yep, thought this was clear as well...

I just eyeballed the cake, but for you type A's, you can certainly use a cut out circle on top as a guide and a level if you want it perfect!
Next I started making the flowers.  I tried to make the watermelon rose smaller by only using a portion of the watermelon instead of the whole thing.  Guess what?  It worked!  I did the same thing with a cantaloupe although I did have to cut it a little more shallow because the cantaloupe is hollow in the middle.



I made a few other flowers using the cantaloupe and some strawberries, then used the rind of the watermelon for some leaves.

Time to assemble!



OK, definitely I will use proper whipping cream next time and not the pre-made type.  I need it to be thick to hold up on a watery base like a watermelon.  I also recommend assembling right before serving and using a few toothpicks to keep the heavier flowers in place on top (I used them for the three roses).  Other than that, it has potential and more importantly, my son loves it!  I also made him a cherry pie which is his favorite pie evah!
Can you smell it??
 I can't tell you how good my house smells right now!  We're off to dinner so we can hurry home and dig in! :)  Happy Birthday Bobby!

No comments:

Post a Comment