Pages

Welcome to The Painted Squirrel!


Magic is believing in yourself. If you can do that, you can do anything! - Johann Wolfgang Van Goethe

Sunday, March 3, 2013

Good morning!  A short and sweet blog post this morning to show some of the other projects I did for my sister's 50th birthday party last night.  We had a great time and are all recovering quite nicely from our late night!

First project - and I'm not sure what to call this, but I painted a cruise ship scene and cut out the holes where the faces would be so our guests could all feel like they were on board ship with my sister!


Sandy and our dear friend Tom enjoying an umbrella drink on board the cruise ship!
 These boards are a great project.  I've made a few of them over the years for my kids elementary school "Fun Night" events (I only have a photo of one of them which I will post at the bottom of today's blog.  The board is a very lightweight piece of insulation board that you can get at Home Depot or Lowes.  It cost about $10 and is easy to cut and paint.


It comes in extra large sheets, so make sure you have a large car to transport it, (or a great neighbor who has a large car, thank you Tara!)

Paint over the silver with a primer, such as Kilz, and you're ready to paint.

 
I drew on the scene and painted it with craft paint.  Here's my Mom helping with the lady's polka dot bikini.  This was a true family affair!
Next, the cake!  You know from a few weeks ago that I am thoroughly enjoying my new found hobby of making cakes using Rice Krispie treats covered in fondant for decoration.  Since my sister is taking a cruise next week, naturally that had to be the theme of the cake...

I used two double-layered sheet cakes set next to each other for the base, then made the cruise ship from the Rice Krispie treats. (my dad helped me make the sheet cakes - thanks Dad!)

Putting the pieces together.  I shaped the base using a greased bread pan, then the next layer, I greased a small tupperwear container.  Once they were cool, I removed them and cut them into the ship shapes.
A ton of icing with blue food color for the watery base!
Well, it wouldn't be a party without eating the decoration!  Here is my friend Tom's Titanic reenactment!  (A prayer that Sandy's cruise doesn't meet up with any ice bergs... :))
A few other smaller projects that really added to the festive, tropical mood...
I purchased two grass table skirts from Oriental Trading Company (if you've never used them, check out their website!).  I purchased a large piece of blue costume material ($4) and a smaller piece of a more expensive tropical material and sewed the grass skirts on to the material for an inexpensive "table cloth".

A large basket of lei's at the front door to put on our guests as they arrived.



Not sure what to call these, but you may remember that at my great-niece's birthday party a few weeks ago, we had these pink tissue paper balls hanging from the chandelier.  Well, I saved them and thought they looked like flowers, and so made some very "Lorax" inspired tropical plants with balloons and chicken wire.  I hope Dr. Seuss would approve!
 There may be more photos that I will post mid-week, once my nephew sends them to me. He has a much better camera than I but he has to convert the shots so I can put them on here.  Stay tuned...

In the mean time, here is another shot of a board I did for our local elementary school event - the theme of the party, of course, was "The Circus"...
I duct taped two boards together for this one so it could stand up on it's own.  Of course, most of the kids wanted to be in the lions mouth! :)

Have a great day everyone, I am going to go back out and enjoy my family until they all head home! 

No comments:

Post a Comment