Pages

Welcome to The Painted Squirrel!


Magic is believing in yourself. If you can do that, you can do anything! - Johann Wolfgang Van Goethe

Sunday, October 21, 2012

Scary Transformations

I am moving along on getting the house ready for Halloween.  I tend to not go overboard with decorating for the seasons or holidays, although I greatly admire those who do and wish I had the organizational skills and the energy!  I change up just a few things to make the house feel like it's shifted into a new gear, and one of my favorite things to do is to change the items in my china cabinet.  I have a "spring/summer" cabinet, and a "fall/winter" cabinet.  Because I love dishware, china, milk glass, depression glass and the like, rotating my collections is a way for me to appreciate them all during the year without having to keep everything out all of the time. 


Before - Spring/Summer Cabinet - Light, bright and floral!
 

Mid-term - Basic Fall/Winter - Red, Gold and Green Depression Glass!


  To the left is my basic fall/winter cabinet.  I will adjust items as the season goes on, replacing the gourds with silver christmas balls for the holidays and adding some Currier & Ives plates, for example. 
I have always saved little pieces of halloween costumes and trinkets that my boys have worn over the years, and I  use them to change the china cabinet into a more frightening showcase for the month of October!   It's a fun way to remember years past.

Skeletal hands coming out of tinware, weapons of a dark and sinister nature at the ready, and all manner of mice, bats and spiders! Oh my!
   


More "appetizing" eyes...

 



One lump or two?


Please pass the creamer!!!

Mmmmmm, cake!


 

Ready to do battle!
 
Bloodthirsty goblets!

He never expected we'd have him over for dinner!

Once again, I like it to look like a normal cabinet until closer inspection, but if you want to do the spider webs and blood spatter, go for it!  Of course you can do a more fun version for younger kids - save all of those tutu's, cute ghosts and friendly witches costumes and masks and make it beautiful!  Maybe remove everything and make it a showcase for a graveyard, or just put a bunch of scary masks on plates so they look like heads!  The bonus of using the china cabinet as a diorama showcase is that little ones can't get into it and grab small objects, but yet it's well lit and they can enjoy the display all season!

Now...whom shall I invite to dinner...(cue Vincent Price's laugh) Bwahahahahahahaha!

No comments:

Post a Comment