Pages

Welcome to The Painted Squirrel!


Magic is believing in yourself. If you can do that, you can do anything! - Johann Wolfgang Van Goethe

Sunday, October 14, 2012

Welcome! Welcome!


Welcome to The Painted Squirrel!  Thank you so much for joining me here!  Up until recently, I have been sharing my projects only on Facebook.  I appreciate every person who has ever visited me there and my hope is that now that I've moved into a blog format, I will be able to share even more about these transformations and all things home!  I am sure I will have to tweak things here and there as I learn this new technology (not being a left brained thinker, new technology isn't always easy for me!) and I would love to hear any suggestions or comments from you!

So, my big flowery swim cap is on and here I go diving into the blog pool!  BONZAI!

The maiden post - A Display of Vanity!

I have been keeping my eye open for something I could use as a vanity for quite a while now. I wanted something a little different and also substantial enough to hold all of the products that make me presentable to the world (and there are quite a few). Recently I found this antique desk on Craigslist for $50!
Craigslist Photo
It was such a great price that I emailed the owner and asked if there was anything wrong with the piece.  Legs sturdy?  Drawers OK?  She said yes and also mentioned she had several people interested so I asked her how early I could come and get it.  That is the key when alot of people are interested in something on Craigslist - GET THERE FIRST!  My sister agreed to meet me and help me get it in my car.  She was just coming off of a twelve hour night shift, and was still in her scrubs!  What a rock star!  I only had to poke her twice to wake her up! (kidding Sands!)

To get it into my ridiculously small car, we had to remove the base.  Even with it dismantled, I had to keep the back windows open with the ends of the legs sticking out on both sides!  Yes, I looked like a bull charging down the highway!  I really need a bigger car!

 
A good sanding over everything and now on to the fun part - PAINTING!
Primed and ready!  Antique purists may be fainting about now and it should be stated that painting an antique can devalue it.  I'm not worried about that because I am going for the function more than the value - although if someone were to tell me that I had painted over a priceless antique, I would cry, but then I would continue to use it as my vanity, lesson learned!

After - just look at how beautiful it turned out! 


Don't you just love the details on this piece?  I used the Benjamin Moore Alkyd enamel paint in white and "Smoke" blue, which is the same color as the walls, satin finish on both.  After the white was dry, I dry-brushed the raised embellishments in the smoke blue to highlight them and because the blue is such a soft shade, it is a very subtle but special detail.   I sprayed the hardware using a white metal spray paint.    When everything was dry, I postitioned the vanity next to the window for the natural light and of course I will be adding my magnifying/make up mirror and filling the drawers with all manner of goop, lotions and potions. 

Try this two toned look on something you own.   If you keep it simple, it's a great way to add a contemporary twist to an old piece of furniture!  Please let me know how it goes!

3 comments:

  1. Andie .. I am so excited to follow your blog and your incredible talent. That dresser is to die for. Spectacular! You have my attention! Congrats on your maiden journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Paula! I'm so excited about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy to see your new blog, congrats!

    And to heck with the antique purists - your new vanity is fabulous. Love the muted blue -- like a Tiffany/robin's egg blue.

    ReplyDelete