Pages

Welcome to The Painted Squirrel!


Magic is believing in yourself. If you can do that, you can do anything! - Johann Wolfgang Van Goethe

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Wine-ing About Storage!

Over the past few years, my husband and I have been enjoying going to wine tastings and wine festivals and we've been buying several bottles or even a case of wine at a time.  We live in Virginia and there are so many beautiful wineries throughout our state.   I knew we needed some more storage for the extra bottles, although we aren't at the "wine cellar required" point yet.  I also knew I didn't want anything too fancy or showy and so I set about finding my wine rack.

This photo to the left is a faux bottle I painted on a client's wall, made to look like it was sitting on the shelf.  Since I'm talking about wine, I thought I would include it.  I used their son's name on the label and the words below the name described some of his wonderful traits.  But I digress....back to my wine rack!

Here is what we have now.  You can see how silly it looks, bottles sitting on the floor like that.  It appears as if there was a table, but it was zapped with a shrink ray and disappeared!


I gave myself a budget of $10 (helloooo big spender!) and started surfing Craigslist.  After about a week and a half, with many offers and many turndowns, a nice lady agreed to my price.  It's not an expensive piece, and I knew I'd be painting it anyway, so the finish didn't really matter to me, but it would hold alot of bottles and get them off of the floor!

 


It's nothing really special, but there is beauty in potential!  Plenty of space for the bottles and beneath the top is a rack to hang your wine glasses.


I removed the top to prime and paint it.  I would have liked to dismantle the whole thing, but the plugs they used to cover the screws appear to have been glued in and I didn't want to cause damage by trying to remove them.

The finished product.  I decided to keep the whole thing plain white, even though the top is a perfect opportunity to add something special; paint a wine saying, stripe it, add a color, for example.  My reasoning is that I already have a zebra dry sink in the room AND a china cabinet - both are focal points and fairly strong one's at that.  I really don't want any attention paid to the wine rack in this case.  Plain white will help it blend into the background of the wainscoting and it can quietly sit in the corner and do it's job.  Only one more question....would you like white or red?

No comments:

Post a Comment